Secure Online Debit Card Payment Services
HSBC India Debit card can now be used for shopping online at websites where Visa cards are accepted. Whether it is travel or movie tickets, hotel reservations, shopping for luxuries or just everyday things, paying utility bills or making investments - you can do it safely from the comfort of your home. Your online transactions are secured by 3-D Secure (3DS) technology, which is an added layer of security for online debit card transactions. 3DS was developed to improve the security of online transactions and is offered to customers as the Verified by Visa (VBV) service. Kindly note that to shop online with your HSBC India debit card, you would require to authenticate the transaction using an One-Time-Password (OTP). The OTP will be automatically sent by our system to your registered mobile number via SMS when you initiate the online transaction. At the VBV authentication screen you will be required to enter the 6 digit OTP to complete the online transaction.
Please ensure :
- You have registered your mobile number with the bank to receive the OTP and authenticate the online transaction.
- Your debit card is activated (activation options are listed separately in the FAQ).
You may update the your mobile number in any of the following ways:
- Call HSBC Phonebanking Service or
- Send us a Secure message through Personal Internet Banking
- Submit a written request at your nearest HSBC India branch
How Does Online Debit Card Payment Work?
When you visit a website to make a purchase online or make a bill payment, please check if the website accepts Visa debit cards for online transaction. We request you to visit the terms and conditions towards the usage of the website prior to undertaking any online transaction. Usually this information is given on the home page or the payment page.
To initiate the online transaction, you will be required to enter the following details on the payment page:
- Card number
- Card Expiry date
- CVV2 (the 3 digit number printed on the signature panel at the back of the card)
In addition to the above, some websites may ask you to enter the cardholder name.
Next, you will be required to authenticate the transaction by entering the 6 digit OTP (One Time Password). Please refer the steps below :
- When you are transacting online, the website will open a new window and display a HSBC Verified by Visa (VBV) authentication screen.
- The transaction details (merchant name, transaction amount, last 4 digits of the card number) will be displayed on the VBV authentication screen. Please ensure that the details are accurate.
- Please enter the 6 digit OTP sent to your registered mobile number on the VBV authentication screen, to initiate the authentication process.
- The card details and the authentication results will be processed by our system; subject to correct card details and OTP being entered and the account having adequate balance, the transaction will be approved.
- On transaction approval, the website will display a payment received acknowledgement.
- A transaction alert will be sent to your registered mobile number confirming the successful transaction.
Visit our contact page to speak to us over the phone, email or online enquiry
Terms and Conditions for HSBC's Verified by VISA
Terms & Conditions
- All merchants in India offering online transaction option on their websites are required to implement two factor authentication as per RBI mandate. Therefore, in case an Indian website does not provide VBV service, the transaction will be declined.
- If the website is based abroad and does not provide VBV service, the online transaction will be selectively approved based on the type of purchase transaction and as per HSBC India’s policy.
- You are requested to adhere to the terms of usage of your HSBC India Debit card while undertaking such online transactions.